Bill Wiggin MP has welcomed today’s Budget as another step on the road to prosperity in North Herefordshire. The Conservatives have a plan that is working, and a Budget that works for you. It shows:
- A growing economy – with Britain growing faster than any other major advanced economy.
- Record numbers of jobs – with 1.9 million more people now have the security of work.
- Rising living standards – with families an average of £900 better off in 2015 than in 2010.
- The deficit down by more than a half as a share of the economy.
- Our national debt starting to fall as a share of the economy – so we fix the roof while the sun is shining. The Budget sets out the choice between the chaos of Labour, or the long term economic plan that is working. It shows how a future Conservative Government would secure a better future for you, your family and Britain by:
- Choosing stability – committing to run a budget surplus and keep our debt share falling.
- Choosing jobs – backing business and skills so we can achieve full employment, and supporting pubs and brewers by cutting tax on beer, cider, and whisky.
- Choosing the whole nation – investing for a truly national recovery that is felt in all parts of the country by building a Northern Powerhouse and backing economic plans in every region.
- Choosing responsibility – helping savers with the Personal Savings Allowance, abolishing savings tax altogether for 17 million people, and giving savers more freedoms with Flexible ISAs – so we build the economy on savings, not debt.
- Choosing aspiration – with a new Help to Buy ISA for first time buyers. If you save up to £12,000 towards a deposit, the government will contribute up to £3,000 – helping more people realise the dream of owning their own home.
- Choosing families – cutting income tax for 27 million people and continuing the fuel duty freeze so families can be more financially secure.
Bill Wiggin MP said: “We have been working through our long term economic plan, and the local economy has been steadily improving.
I am particularly pleased beer duty has been cut for the third year in a row and importantly for Herefordshire, cider duty has been cut by 2 per cent. This is great news for the beer and cider industries in North Herefordshire that support more than 1500 jobs.
“This Budget is another step on the road from austerity to prosperity – with support for savers, lower taxes for people in work and a clear plan to make sure Britain pays its way in the world.
“Five years ago, Britain was spending and borrowing too much, too many people were out of work and our economy was on its knees. That’s why there is a critical choice facing us this year: return to the chaos of the past or stick with a plan that is working and choose a more prosperous future. We must choose the future.”