Bill Wiggin MP has welcomed the publication of the Strategic Defence and Security Review – a comprehensive plan to back our Armed Forces, counter-terrorism police and intelligence agencies with the resources they need.
Our national security depends on our economic security. Our renewed economic security means we can afford to invest further in our national security. This is vital at a time when the threats to our country are growing.
Our plan to invest £178 billion in our defence over the next decade, includes:
- Creating two new strike brigades with forces of up to 5,000 personnel each who will be fully equipped to deploy rapidly and sustain themselves in the field.
- Increasing the size of the Royal Navy and Royal Air Force by a total of 700 personnel.
- Renewing the continuous-at-sea nuclear deterrent – our ultimate insurance policy.
- Investing in nine maritime patrol aircraft to protect our nuclear deterrent, hunt down hostile submarines and enhance our maritime search and rescue.
- Extending the life of our multirole Typhoon for 10 extra years through to 2040, meaning we will be able to create two additional squadrons.
- Accelerating the F-35 programme, by buying 42 jets by 2023.
- Investing £1.9 billion over five years in our cybersecurity.
These investments are an act of clear-eyed self-interest to ensure our prosperity and security. Britain is fortunate to have some of the finest Armed Forces, counter-terrorism police and security services in the world. Using our renewed economic strength, we will equip them to defeat the terrorist threat and help keep us safe for generations to come.
Bill Wiggin MP said: “The first duty of any government is to keep the nation and our communities safe – that is why this investment is fantastic news for the people of North Herefordshire.
I am proud that we are the only major country in the world which is simultaneously going to meet the NATO target of spending 2 per cent of our GDP on defence and the UN target of spending 0.7 per cent of our GNI on development, while also increasing investment in our security and intelligence agencies and in counter-terrorism. These announcements underline how committed we are to the long-term, future security of Britain.
“While Labour are a threat to national security, it is only the Conservatives who are safeguarding our nation’s future by ensuring our Armed Forces and security agencies have what they need to keep us safe.”